Eggplant breaded and fried is a perennial favorite and reliable stand by, but I rarely have the patience and time for that. Here is a simple, quick, delicious weeknight dinner that will have you appreciating eggplant in an all new way.
Here we go.
Add the eggplant sauce to the pasta and fold in until the noodles are coated.
For added flavor, load this sucka up with parmesan cheese.
1 box of pasta (I used ziti this time, I have also used spaghetti, anything will work)
1 medium eggplant, diced into small cubes
1 small red onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 cups diced tomatoes
Parmeggiano Reggiano, grated
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the eggplant, onion, and garlic. You're going to want to cook it until the eggplant gets that ugly squooshy look to it and the other veggies are softened.
2. Add more olive oil and turn the heat up to medium high until the eggplant gets browned, about 5-7 more minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and turn the heat back down to simmer while the pasta cooks (6-8 minutes)
1. Toss the pasta in boiling salted water for until al dente. Drain in a colander and return the pasta to the pot.
2. Add the eggplant sauce to the pasta and fold in until the noodles are coated.
3. For added flavor, load this sucka up with parmesan cheese and sprinkle with fresh chopped basil.